18/02/2013

Body Adornments and New Projects

Mosaic Medallion


Now see if you can guess what substrate I used for this one ;-)



It's a design made up of cut and whole glass gems with a resin crystal in the centre.  I've lately been experimenting with cutting these glass gems as you can make much more intricate patterns than if left whole.  It's a shame I had to grout this really but really it's the only way to keep it all together.  Mind, the finished design still has a wonderful effect to it.


Once again I have used anthracite glitter grout to finish the design.  The resin crystal now had glitter paint behind it to add to the effect.  I am still trying to find a suitable thing to hang it with that would be strong enough to take the weight without putting pressure on the neck.  Currently it is utilising an adapted hanging basket chain!  But, due to no help on this problem whatsoever, I've had to improvise with what I could find.


This is the back using a much more simpler pattern.  It is designed for comfort on this side; though really it could be worn either way round.

The rear of the substrate was finished with glitter paint which adds a sparkly effect to the gems which sit on top.

Mosaic Clock

 



This started out as simply a plain black clock.  I painted much of it silver with a view to placing glass gems above so that the silver shines through.  I debated taking them right to the centre under the pointers but in the end to be on the safe side, I opted to use flat glass tiles bought from the local DIY store.  This was to give allow the pointers to still be able to move round the face unrestricted.


The design for the centre was not planned.  I was trying to get get spirals that emulated the waves of the sea.  It's a sort of adaptation of my scroll designs on my step mosaics.  The clock isn't 'quite' finished; the gems need cleaning still and a bit more grout needs adding to finish off.  The pointers may also need some attention before hanging.

Spiral Design Mosaic Vase


I began working on this late 2012 but it got put to one side as I began doing more elaborate designs.  There was a while before I really had any ideas on how to complete this one.


Only the upper part has been done and as you can see I was experimenting with spirals with this vase.


The lower half has recently been painted silver.  I wish I'd done the same with the upper half but at the time I wasn't really experimenting with backings yet.  I may well adjust the top to make it a little more interesting though.  I'm already having thoughts about different designs I could use and connect it to the lower half.

The Head



This was a glass head which I have now painted silver.  I've wanted to mosaic something like this for some time but have never found a suitable substrate until now.

There is no planned design for this (I haven't 'planned' any mosaics in ages as it's been more fun to just do spontaneous patterns) but I have one or two possible ideas.  I am still going to be utilising glass gems and will probably be using anthracite glitter grout again.

No comments:

Post a Comment